Thursday, January 26, 2012

PORT GIBBON

Travelling 148 klms along the Lincoln Highway we decided to stop at Port Gibbon on the Eastern side of the Eyre Peninsular overlooking the Spencer Gulf. Once a bustling Port for grain and sheep & cattle handling and bringing in supplies, but now a sleepy weekend fishing village.
As well as great views it had a drop toilet, drinking water, toilet dump, but no power.
The temperature reached 37 one day and 34 on two others and I was very thankful for a sea breeze which blew in to cool us down. John used the generator for some things, but I did not want to risk overloading it for air conditioning.
There were some other people already in there and they had been catching Blue Swimmer Crabs and as there was a surplus I was given about 18, the big catch being that I had to learn to deshell them - sharp learning curve coming up.
Firstly I learned that after they were euthanased they were cooked for about 6 minutes.
After which they were cooled and I was then shown the best method to attack the shelling.
Well I gamely started on them and then John (bless him) came to help. The end result contained a lot of pieces of shell, as it was clear and blended in with the crab flesh. I got a lot more out, but eating it was not the best.
One day when the tide was going out Colin took John out with him to teach him how to catch crab, consequently we ended up with twice as much, as Colin said he had had enough.
Wow - double the shelling job, but I am enjoying eating them in several ways.
Three days we spent relaxing and exploring the area, then decided to go up to Whyalla for a while.

1 comment:

  1. So, no can catch a fish but he can crab?
    My mouth water thinking of A) the money your saving by catching them yourselves and B) the taste.

    ReplyDelete